[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: more cap questions

<< Original Poster: Robin Copini <rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au>

> Is there a limit to a LTRC cap?,

> i.e. if the maths dictates a 0.083uf cap for my 5kva piggy - and I have
> been advised not to design for resonance with the cap. Other posts to
> this list  have suggested going LTRC, if this is so, bearing in mind I
> am halfway through constructing an async RSG, just how much larger than
> resonance can you go?, And, what is effected if you go larger? i.e.
> chnages to tapped turns/freq of primary?

>  Regards

>  Robin Copini, >>

Robin,

I see the whole reso/LTRC question as something pertaining mostly
to NST's or other current limited transformers.  With a pole pig, you'll
be using external inductive ballasting which can be selected to make
any size cap either resonant or non-resonant as desired.  I agree that
non-resonant operation is preferable.   If the cap is larger,
fewer turns will be needed in the primary to achieve RF tuning with
the secondary.  I suggest using cap size along with break-rate to
control the power input to the coil.  A larger cap will draw more power
at a given break-rate, unless you keep the voltage low one way or
another.

John Freau