[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 4 inch coil

I've only built a single coil but I'd check your specs.

I used a 4 inch secondary with 22awg at 21.5".  Primary is 1/4" copper
tubing spaced 1/4" with a 6.5" inside diameter and a 21.25" outside
diameter, 16 turns total rising at 15 degrees and took about 60 feet of
copper.  Copper tubing works great and I believe would be cheaper than 4awg
solid.  I built a slightly modifed RQ Spark Gap with 10 1" x 2.5" copper
pipe spaced .025".  I have it set at 8 gaps at the moment but will try
different settings later.  I put kind of a venturi (?) in the center to
direct the airflow directly to the pipes and I believe it also speeds
airflow.  I'm currently using a 3" x 16" toroid (AL tape over AL flex duct.
I got better performance from a 4" x 22" toroid which was destroyed during a
move.  I think my toroid size should be somewhere in between the two sizes
and intend to try several sizes.  With the smaller toroid the coil seems to
tune over a wide range, 5-7 turns.  With the larger toroid, the sweet spot
was much smaller at around 13.5 turns.  I started with a single 15kv .030
NST and .0052uf cap.  It ran well.  I now use 2 15kv .030 NSTs and .012 cap.
I still have a lot of tuning to do but I'm getting sparks over 30".  With
the larger toroid I was over 40".

Opinion Only:  The inside diameter of your primary seems way too small.
Your caps also seem too small.  The rest sounds in the ballpark.

Good Luck,

dj