[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big Neon Transformer

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:35:23 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "Grady Cutrer" <gcutrer-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Hello:
>  I hope maby some of you could help me.  I have just recieved from
>the owner of a local neon sign shop, a huge transformer, it is 12,000
>volts, at 60 milliamps, 720 watts.  It was given to me as a gift, the
>guy was afraid of the thing.  I was wondering about how much it is
>worth? anybody know?
>  Also this thing keeps blowing holes in my leyden jars, is there any
>way to keep this from happening?
>      Thanks,
>          Grady Cutrer

The transformer would probably be worth about $70 new, but I bought one,
used, from a Neon Sign shop for $20.
That's a nice gift, mine is tossing 27" arcs off my TC. The only way to
stop losing you caps is to either make sure your capacitance (I assume
you mean you leyden jars are in TC service) is a match, or just above a
match, for the load impedance of the transformer, or increase the
thickness of the glass of the jars you use. The correct capacitance, I
believe, is 13200pf for a 12000Vac 60ma transformer.

The electrophile,

Grayson Dietrich

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]