[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rolled PE Caps

In a message dated 4/14/99 4:16:19 AM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  how do you make a connection when the foil
>  > comes out on the ends?
>  > thanks much
>  > kevin wahila

 Hey all

  I think I posted some time ago on soldering to alum. foil.  It can be done
with standard lead/tin rosin core solder.  Really!

  I use a 140 watt soldering gun and run the tip over the alum. rather
heavily while applying solder.  After a nice puddle of solder has adhered to
the foil, the wire readily resolders to it.  This works best with H.D. alum.
foil, but with care also works on the plain alum. foil.

  This is an electrical and mechanically (within reason) sound joint.  It
does not ball up like a cold joint, but flattens out and adheres to foil.  I
have several home made rolled polyester caps made years ago that have
soldered wires running between the multiple sections.  This is on single foil
roll  caps, if they are multilayered, then one would have a difficult time
soldering all the end foil together.

  I have also soldered alum. roof flashing the same way.  A 240 watt gun
works better, and the surface should be sanded lightly first.  It takes a
little more force on the gun tip while heating it to make it work better.
Try it, it does work!

Kevin E.