[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Not shooting for anything gloriuous, but... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:14:15 -0700
From: Robert Volk <smrtmny2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Not shooting for anything gloriuous, but... (fwd)

When I was using glass caps, I blew 4 of them in one night. I wanted
something quick so I could demonstrate my coil next day. I used a one
gallon glass jar, that helped. But I wanted more capacitance. I put a
one liter coke bottle in parallel with the rest and it punctured in a
few seconds with oil and water running all over.

My question to you more experienced coilers:

Wouldn't it be possible to take a glass jar or LDPE plastic bottle, and
wrap it with multi-layers of say .003 mil or .006 mil poly on the
outside to increase the given capacitance AND help cut down the high
voltage breakthrough as well? Seems like this is a cheap and quick
solution to "glass cappers". The foil could then be tightly wrapped
around the poly layers in the traditional way.

It seems an easy solution. In the same way multi-layers prevent
breakthrough with our rolled poly caps, they could do the same here.

Anyone tried this before? Comments?

Sparkin'
Bob Volk