[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ceramin Caps

Chris,

If you have all the time in the world to solder ceramic caps, why not
take some time to roll poly instead? MMC's are still in the experimental
stage and getting great results ( thanks Gary and Reinhard!!), but
they're still testing. Don't use ceramic, their RF losses are too great.
Metallized foil is the only kind to get.

Concerning time: I kept blowing my glass caps, decided to roll poly. I
bought a roll of poly from home depot (10X25  .006 mil) for $3.50
(perfect amount for 3 caps of .033 each). I spent one evening cutting
all the poly strips, cleaning and stacking them. Next night I stacked
with foil and rolled them. It took 2 more days to prepare the 3" PVC
pipes and install the caps with terminals, and an evening to fill with
oil. I've not had one bit of trouble with my 15K/60 NST.

If you want a robust poly cap for experimenting, Build enough in series
to handle the voltage. That's my opinion.

Bob Volk