[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TANK CIRCIUT AND PRIMARY CONDUCTOR CHOICES

In a message dated 4/9/99 2:59:29 AM Mountain Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hello fellow coilers,I have a question reguarding conductor choices in both
>  the tank circuitry and the primary coil. Hopefully somone on the (tesla
list)

>  can help .So far I have seen flat strap,ref. tubing ,and heavy guage
>  wire.Which would give the best performance?
>
>   Currently,I have a 8"x 28" coil powered by two 15/60's with a vertically
>  stacked cap.(.027uf) and a series gap. The coil itself has 16 gauge wire
on
>  the secondary and the freq. is(234khz. loaded) with a 6"x 20" toroid.The
>  primary is a flat sprial made of 1/2" ref. tubing (11 turns tapped at the
> 6th
>  turn).
>
>  So far max.spark is 42" and I think there is  more potential. There must
be
>  some info. dealing with the certian size of  conductors and the dia.of the
>  material used depending upon power,volts,current and coupling
>  characteristics. I am  planning on using either 1/4",3/8,"or 1/2" dia.
>  tubing.Any help is appreciated.
>
>  Thanks, Mike Church (CHURCHMON)4/8/99

Mike,
   Using tubing on the primary is probably the most convenient, but the
strapping is also a fine choice.  Either choice works well.  I don't know
about the heavy gauge wire, as I haven't tried that.
    Your coil is pretty close to mine in design.  About the only difference
is mine was wound with 20g wire and is 25 inches tall.  My primary cap is
.025 uf  so I get to use about 10.75 primary turns.  The one thing that I
wanted to mention is that I was getting about the same performance as you are
using a 6 x 20 toroid.  I get better performance now by using an 8 x 24
toroid(and might should have made it a bit larger than 24 inches maj. diam).
Thde 8 x 24 inch toroid won't change your tuning by much(if at all), but it
made mine go from multiple streamers to a single one, which increased the
spark length.
cheers,
Mike