[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Reflected Power

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, January 30, 1998 7:30 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Reflected Power

  All -

  The reflected power can be optained from a meter similar to what radio
hams use for radio transmitters. A graph showing the difference between
radio and Tesla coil reflected volts is shown in my Tesla Coil Notebook. The
graph shows the VSWR for radios and Tesla coils. Radios work best at low
VSWR and Tesla coils at high VSWR. Reflected power and voltages are
important to Tesla coils because they give an indication of how effective
the system is operating.

  Also, the Q factor can be found by the VSWR obtained from the reflected
voltages as shown in the Notebook. To my knowledge, no coilers have ever
utilized this information in the design of Tesla coils. The Corum's have
mentioned VSWR for Tesla coils but gave no details.

  John Couture