[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Jumping in with both feet?

----------
From:  SBJohnston-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:SBJohnston-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, January 30, 1998 2:59 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  Jumping in with both feet?

John Freau wrote:

>Did you try re-tuning (tapping) outward by a couple of turns
>when the metal dome is installed?

Yes, I believe I did go out to the full 11 turns, still no go.  I'll have to
experiment further...

>> It was interesting to see how the voltage builds, then POW,
>> builds then POW,  builds then POW,  builds then POW.

>The gap may be firing at a sub-multiple of 120 times per
>second, perhaps 60 times per second or less because of the
>wide gap setting.

Hmmm... The gap seemed too wide, but performance was more dramatic.

>If this is happening, the voltage on the cap resonantly charges
>to a higher than normal voltage and may destroy the tranny
>and caps.  I forget what size tranny you're using,

15 kV 30 ma  - but only half of the secondary in circuit.

>but it may be too small for the capacitor.  Sometimes if you
>use a 140V output variac, it provides the tranny with just
>enough power to achieve 120 BPS even with a slightly- too-
>large cap...

I'll try reducing the gap and dropping back to three caps for a total of .015
and see how it runs, adjusting the primary size to compensate for secondary
top loading.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston-at-aol-dot-com