[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

synch gap question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:55:41 PST
From: Mad Coiler <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: synch gap question

List members,

 I have been trying to build a synch gap for my NST coil. My first
attempt proved unsucsesful. I couldnt get the synch gap to outperform my
static gap.
 One question first: I was following the idea of 120bps, firing once
every half cycle (on the peak?). I recently watched a video - I believe
it was the 1991 Tesla Symposium (I dont exactly remember what year it
was) and Bill Wysock (hope I didnt spell it wrong) gave a lecture on
spark gap technology. I remember he said using a synch gap it is
important that you not fire on the peak, but instead fire at the
'skirts'. I dont believe there was any explanation givin on the segment
I have recorded. So is this why my synch gap isnt working properly? That
would mean 240bps, and seems contrary to what others have said to me.
 To describe the problems I was having: My safety gaps would almost
power arc at any phase, before there would only 'snap' once every couple
seconds or so. With the synch gap the safety gaps would continously and
heavily arc. My safety gaps are three brass balls, center ball is outlet
ground, seperated at what I think is to far apart already. I confirmed
the gap was runing in synch (atleast while the TC was not energized). My
contacts are small brass acorn nuts - both on the disk and stationary. I
think the disk is 8" diameter. I tried putting series static gaps in the
circuit too but that made things worse. Maximum output was probably 75%
that of with the static gaps.

Tristan Stewart