[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG's different shape electrodes

In a message dated 9/27/98 7:55:52 AM Mountain Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> D.C.,
>  I agree, the 3/16 inch TIG welding electrodes are
>  excellent for off the shelf electrodes. But regarding
>  the 1800rpm-4 electrodes: You state it is a great
>  performer for "small" systems, but does it really beat a
>  variable RSG? It's been posted recently that 200+ BPS
>  provides optimum performance. With the 1800 rpm-4
>  electrode, your only at 120 BPS

    A thought occured to me regarding a sync. gap.  Has anyone tried using a
set of three fixed electrodes placed symmetrically around a rotor with four
electrodes to allow a break rate of 360 BPS?  The fixed electrodes would be
connected via a bus to the rest of the circuit.  If properly aligned, this
would allow the firings to occur at 30º,90º,150º,210º,270º,and 330º of the
charging cycle.  One advantage I can see is that each pair of fixed electrodes
only "sees" about 1/3 of the total power and should not heat up as much,
thereby reducing the resistance a little.
    The question I have is: will the firings at 30º,150º, 210º, and 330º have
the punch to give good sparks?  I have no idea if this idea would work, but it
seemed interesting to me.
Comments?
Mike Hollingsworth