[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Test question

Greetings,

Last weekend was a dud for firing up my coil, and with the hurricane
expected to throw rain up my way looks like not this weekend either.  So in
the meantime, I engaged into some checking utilizing low voltages from my
control cabinet and a couple of VOM's.  These were my results:

Test 1:
3.08 VAC on X1 and X2 (input) 120-0 leads
370 VAC on high voltage bushings (output)
120:1 ratio approxomatly
Therefore: 240 VAC in, 28800 out

I know the output current would be reduced, but would the KVA rating be
halved?  I'm thinking it would be since you are now using one set of
windings on the primary.

Test 2:
3.00 VAC on X1 and X2 (input) 120-120 leads
neutral being disconnected from output lug and connected together
180.0 VAC out
60:1 ratio (this is what I expected)
Therefore: 240 VAC in, 14400 out

My question is, even though the skematic diagram on the nameplate shows that
the two primary leads are connected together to form the X2, why is it that
there is no output until the two leads are disconnected from the X2 and left
connected together?

Thanks!
Patti