[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nitrogen oxides

Doc Resonance wrote:

> The exception to this post would be coilers using stainless steel bolts as
> spark gap electrodes.  Burning stainless steel in the presence of oxygen
> forms very deadly gases.  Welders never weld stainless in a tank without a
> lot of ventilation or a respirator for these very reasons.  Anyway,
> stainless or any steel for that matter is a very good way to destroy a high
> Q factor in an otherwise excellent design.  At higher powers the UV light
> can be very bad for the eyes (UV burns similar to welding).

This raises a short series of questions:

o WHAT are the v. deadly gases evolved from stainless steel?  I don't know
  any welders around ABQ, so here's where I ask.  ;^)

o Stainless steel is usually not particularly ferromagnetic, i.e., it won't
  be noticably attracted to a magnet.  Is this an adequate test for s.s.?

o Why does the use of a steel spark gap compromise Q?  Second-rate electri-
  cal conductivity?

			Curious, curious, and curious,

PS -- Folks, puh-LEEZE trim off the extensive quoted messages.  Some of that
stuff's relavant, of course, but the majority seems not to be.
--
		 "The weirdos will save the world in the end."
				-- Dr. Richard Berthold