[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT Voltage Doubler

> It doesn't double the current-- no.. but it does double the voltage.  In
> the first half cycle the source charges the capacitor through the diode
> (correct me if I'm wrong) and in the second half cycle the capacitor
> discharges in conjunction with the source current, effectively doubling the
> voltage.  I'm not sure why this doesn't produce a pulsed effect-- perhaps
> someone could enlighten me (us?) about the finer points?

I guess the transformers act as a choke that limits the current. My MOT
voltage
doubler-powered TC has a breakrate of a few hundred bps!

BTW, when using a rotary sparkgap and lowering the break rate the spark
length only slightly decreases, but there are less simultaneous streamers
and the sparks are less powerful.

Bye,
 Stefan