[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT pig limiters

It was written:
>Bill,
>
>I haven't tried it, but I would guess that you would use a microwave
oven
>transfromer as a current limiting inductor just as you would a welder.
Leave
>it intact, short the outputs and run the current to be limited through
the
>primary - and the shunts should come into play.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Yes.  Thats also what we've been doing, but in light of my recent MOT
saturation tests (haven't yet eval'd a MOT with a shorted-out secondary)
it looks like we are getting more impedance due to the primary winding's
resistance (0.5 ohms measured) , as opposed to inductive limiting.  I
don't think that's really what we need, or is it?

I do know that my particular MOT would draw over 30 amps at 120V with
the sec shorted out.  My 20 amp line fuses didn't like it much.

More experiments are needed! Where's my 0.1 ohm 100W resistor at... :)

I have a 10KVA 19900 (only 125 lb supposedly) pig coming to my doorstep
late next week!  Woo Hoo!

Late friday Paul stumbled into a few (6 or 8?) 5KVA 14400 units, about
the size of a 5-gallon bucket, at a scrapyard.  Is there any good way to
ID these as to their PCB/no-PCB oil status, or is it a random risk?

If I can get them for the right price, is there an interest on the
list??

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160