From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Can anyone help ?
Date: Wednesday, September 09, 1998 10:29 PM

Original Poster: RWB355-at-aol-dot-com

Hello all,

This mail is about RSG´s. I need some help.

My thoughts about gaps/caps/xformers

(Always for biggest bang size)

If the cap is too big (for a given xformer) you will never fully charge it,
so
you will only dump the charge voltage the cap reaches in 1/120 sec. I.e if
your xformer can supply 15kV and your cap is so big that it will only
charge
to 9kV (e.g.) you might as well only use a 9kV xformer (with a proper cap),
right?

Now, if I do the opposite and run a too small cap, the xformer can charge
it
to max volts, but I won´t be pumping the max energy possible into my
primary
tank, right?

This would tell me to get the biggest cap possible, that my xformer can
still
charge to its max voltage, right? (For biggest bangs)

Let me continue on with my ramble: If I now use a rotary gap instead of a
staic gap I can exceed the line BPS (you guys:120 // me: 100 BPS), right?
This
would, however mean the cap HAS to be smaller (because of less time to
charge
it) than on a static gap, right?

Now comes my question:

What is the relationship between xformer, cap size and BPS? Is there a
formula
out there that would tell me what cap I need for a given xformer and BPS?
If
so, lemme have it.

Thanks for all,
Coiler greets from germany,