[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Gasses Experiment

Steve wrote:

>    At work we have a hydrogen spark gap with operates at up to
>30atm pressure, it is not used with tesla coils, but it is in a
>capacitor discharge circuit, and the quenching is INCREDABLE, we can
>operate it with primary energies of 10's of joules per discharge with
>rep rates over 5KHz, and even then it is not the gap which is the
>limiting factor, but the system it is driving.

Neat.  I have a few questions about this gap:
* Did you guys buy it or build it as a custom?
* Is is externally triggered/synchronized, or is it free-running
(relaxation-style?)
* I assume there are multiple metal-H-metal subgaps inside it.  Any clue
as to how many?  What metal? (I'd guess Tungsten!)
* How large (or small?) is this device overall?
* Does fresh H flow into, through, and out of the device, or is it
filled once and left alone (except for leakage loss)?
* Most metals suffer from hydrogen embrittlement after being heated and
subjected to an environment rich in H.  Is this a problem for this gap?

Thanks for satisfying a nosy mad scientist!

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160