[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Any info available on Vacuum Gaps?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Dan" <dkrones-at-home-dot-com>
>
> Any info available on Vacuum Gaps?
>
> By "vacuum gap", I mean a spark gap where the gap itself is literally
> contained within a vacuum.  Typically the terminals are very close (.001" -
> .005").  One of the 2 electrodes is adjustable for fine tuning the gap
> distance.
>
> The challenges I see are how to adjust an electrode without breaking the
> vacuum (perhaps a bellose of some kind).  How to electrically insulate the
> terminals.  How to provide adequit heat sinking for the terminals.

Dan,

Vacuum gaps do quench well, because they can't unload heat for big systems.
make one would demand a good deal of effort and expense as most such gaps work
way down in the 10E-9mm region.  Pre-built gaps are never suitable for Tesla
systems as they usually are for protective service and rare firings.

You are correct in that a Tesla vacuum gap would have to be specially
constructed by the amateur.  Most amateurs have no concept of what vacuum
technology demands.  (real read very big bucks)

Richard Hull, TCBOR