[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Many dry caps in series?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Gary Lau  17-Oct-1998 1702 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>
>
> I'm considering a new capacitor design that uses 20 rolled poly
> capacitors in series, each using a single 6 mil LDPE dielectric.  I would
> again use extended-foil construction with household aluminum foil.  Would
> such a construction reduce the voltage per cap enough that it wouldn't
> create corona and be necessary to displace the air with oil?  I'd love to
> avoid that whole oil-thing!
>
> Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA USA

Gary,

Sounds reasonable! The only difficulty I can see is that, with no oil to
fill in the gaps, the presence of air between the foil and LDPE will
tend to decrease the capacitance such that the effective "k" of the
rolls may be significantly less than 2...

Good luck, and let us know how it works!

-- Bert --