[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: scary idea

<<<< Moderator Note:  I am ending the 60Hz and ligth-wave frequency thread
with this post. The original question seems well answered.  - Terry >>>>

>Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:42:57 -0600
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: scary idea
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
>Original Poster: "chris morgan" <crmorgan-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

>my friend had a scary idea the other day-a tesla coil that resonates at
>60 hertz.
  I told him he might have some problems building one, but he
>didn't seem discouraged.

  Well, Tell him that a Tesla Coil secondary would have to be far taller
than a house or a lamppost to resonate at that frequency. And it would
probably require a few hundreds of Kilowatts for energising it. Now, I
want to se him wind THAT! A 60000Hz (60Khz) Is somewhere between 3 and 5
meters Tall... Imagine a 60HZ!!!

  He also wants to build a VERY high fruquencey
>tesla coil.  So high it emits visable light instead of radio waves.

 There was a discussion in which I took part some time ago about the
building of a microwave range-resonating TC. The obvious conclusion we
had is that, even if it could be done, the secondary would have to be so
(an inch or so) small and the wire so thick that not only would it be
limited to no more than a few watts of power and maybe one or two inches
long streamers, but also it would set new standards for inefficiency and
energy loss (skin effect anyone?). Plus, sparks don't develop at the
gigaherts range. It looks more like the flame of a gas burner! Now, if
you could transmit light waves trough copper, than what use would optic
fibres have? It just isn't possible! The frequency is way too high...

He
>wories me sometimes...

 Don't worry. If someone thinks he can build a TC that resonates at the
TETRAHERTZ range or wind a 30meter+ tall secondary, his lack of
knowledge on the workings of a TC will make it impossible for him to
ever build one!

 Sam Barros