[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Compressible stuff in your capacitor

>>Nobody suggested this one so I will: If you like a closed cap
>>and yet want to use it at any directions you can put something
>>compressibble inside the cap. Then, just fill it up with out and
>>leave no air space. I can imagine something like a bagfull of
>
>Good idea, but... What you can fill with air, can be compressed but won't
>break or leak? Or what material can be sufficiently compressed (losing
volume)
>and doesn't contain air?

How about something like foamed plastics? (Do not choose the type
which has open cell structure!) This could even be added after the
cap is in oil and vacuum has be broken. Then there would be no
preassure change to kill it.

Some structure like "plastic bag" would probably need to be added
to prevent any leaks. You could try using vacuum to suck air out of the
bag and then closing it by melting. Perhaps some sprayable plastics
as a cover would do.

This is not a tried idea (yet) but compressible structures seems the only
way
to make caps witout air in the cap!

>What I have been thinking, instead, is to use a pressure security valve
>screw on one of the two capacitor caps (or on the box wall). An easy

Some commercial caps have foils which are pressed when/if preassure
rises. Then the connection is broken. However, this is not an easy task
to do with hv pulse caps!

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus