[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More arc simulations

HI Richard, Bill Wysock, all,
                               In no way did I mean to imply that I
was the great pioneer into discovering the points I mentioned in my
post on primary Q, secondary Q etc.  I acknowledge that TCBOR were
pioneers in the practice of small C large L primaries (I hope I got
that right!) and that Bill had an elevated primary design two decades
ago. I meant no prior claim on any of those discoveries. To my
knowledge I am the first to have done the paper analysis on primary
L/C ratios and voltage in the coiling community but that is *only to
my knowledge*.  Others may also have done this although I have never
seen seen it in any TC literature I've read.
     My initial personal research efforts were spurred by gaps between
things I *had* read in literature on TCs that was available to me and
didn't stack up.

> Original Poster: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>

> Tesla List wrote:     Acknowledgement: Mark Barton who used to be on this
list
> was the
>
> > first coiler *I knew* who reasoned that a high Xp was a desirable
> > attribute. There were probably others I was not aware of. We jointly
> > investigated this a couple of years ago. Further experiments without
> > the gap showed a dramatic improvement in raw Q if the primary was
> > elevated considerably from the ground or mounted perpendicular to it.
> >
> > Malcolm

>   Malcom,
>
> The TCBOR in tape #1 or 2 back in 1989 and 90 made a number of statements
> based
> on our work so it is on record before the internet was ever an item of note.
>
> 1. Never build a coil low to the ground.  (losses increase)
> 2.  Always use a primary of larger inductance (5-6 turn absolute minimum)
> Note*
> doesn't apply to 20 foot diameter primaries.
> 3. Always use the smallest tank capacitor and the highest voltage possible
> within
> the limits of your power design goals.
> 4.  Always use a very high inductance secondary.
>

> By 1991 we had added the maximim that........" only the largest toroidal
sizes
> allowed large sparks to be produced and that our recommendation was that the
> toroid should dwarf the resonator."
>
> I think I got on the internet back in 1995 or something like that.  I
screamed
> that then when this list was young.  I have re-iterated all these tips
> about 20
> times in numerous posts.
>
>  It is nice to see that theory and intellectual reasoning is finally
> catching up
> to casual observations by experimenter/researchers of 10 years ago.  Not
> that the
> theory or math proves the observations.  Quite the other way around (as
almost
> always) - solutions and working systems forces the theorists to scurry
> about in
> search of reasons for seemingly disparate results found in working systems.
>  They
> just gotta' fill in those blanks.
>
> Thus far, I haven't seen one of our old maxim's given the lie....Only
> supposedly,
> " rediscovered" afresh by each new wave of Tesla buffs lapping up on the
> shores
> of real experiment.  While it is true we offered generalizations which left
> many
> thirsty for a "model" or something they could simply "plug in values and
> turn the
> crank".  I still have not seen that happen to my complete satisfaction.
> Lots of
> great efforts and new "mathematical support" for old hard won knowledge,
> [...]

I would be the last to *knowingly* lay claim to knowledge gleaned by
those who had gone before me. I hope I offended no-one. I did feel
that the points were worth reiterating and I also feel that it is
about time that theory matched practise. I cannot see myself making
any further useful contributions to the theory now. All that is left
to do is build according to well established principles and see
whether those principles are sound enough to break records.

Most Sincerely,
Malcolm