[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stats of my new capacitor

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: RODERICK MAXWELL <tank-at-magnolia-dot-net>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com (Aric C Rothman)
> >
> >      I just finished taking readings of a new stack plate capacitor I
> >      built.  I used a Quadtech precision LCR meter to take these
> >      measurements.
> >
> >      C = 42.5 nF
> >      DF = 0.0000759
> >      ESR = 818.73 microohms
> >
> >      all measurements were taken at 100 kHz.
> >
> >      The capacitor is made of styrene and Al foil (Reynolds Wrap Heavy
> >      Duty).  There is  a 1 1/2" guard region around each foil.  The
styrene
> >      layers are 9"x13" and consist of two 20 mil sheets between each foil.
> >      The stack is sandwiched between 1/4" sheets of lexan and tied
together
> >      with nylon straps.
> >
> >      I'm constructing a vacuum tank of 3/8" Lexan.  I will immerse this
cap
> >      (and its soon to be born siblings :) in this tank, one at a time,
> >      under oil.  After degassing under vacuum, the caps will be
transferred
> >      to a epoxy coated wooden box, which will be filled with oil.
> >
> >      Has anyone had success/problems constructing a vacuum chamber out of
> >      solvent welded pieces of polycarbonate/acrylic/etc.  Also, what kinds
> >      of terminals have capacitor builder here used in their homemade
units?

> >      Aric
> >

>    I have had miserable luck with acrylic plastic containers. I have not
> built one yet that did not seep oil. Your best bet is to use the epoxy
> coated wooden box. If you build it right (make sure you seal ALL of the
> cracks before applying a couple of coats of epoxy) it won't leak until
> doomsday.
>
>                                Frankensteins Helper
>                                       Max

I have had bad luck with lexan boxes also.  You will have to make your
container very strong if you are going to pull a vacuum.  I have crushed
all sorts of containers by pulling vacuums on them.  Any thing that has
a large flat surface area will bow crack or crush under the atmospheres
preasure.  Build it strong!
--
	Jeff Larson		jflarson-at-starnetinc-dot-com