[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Fw: Arc Impedance Study - Computer Models

Hi Sulaiman,

At 03:46 PM 10/13/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi, 'scuse me for butting in but as a complete beginner I don't see the
>relevance of the discussion in the sense that I'm only aware of two
>scenarios,
>
>1 NST, OBIT or MOT where I believe we would have little choice in
>primary capacitor value as resonant charging would be used to get as
>much out of the transformer as possible, and the higher the primary
>voltage the better since we effectively loose a voltage equal to the ON
>voltage of the gap for each half cycle of r.f. with the primary
>inductance chosen to match the Fres of the secondary,
>
>2 Pole-pigs where similar considerations apply but Cpri is chosen by
>considering power=energy-per-bang x bangs-per-second. Again Lpri is
>chosen to match Fres of the secondary.
>
>What am I missing?   ... Sulaiman

If your coil is already built and running there isn't much you can do to
change some of the basic design parameters.  However, in a new system,
these issues may influence the early design where changes are easy.

In many cases, Cpri is matched to the charging system and is not very
flexible.  However, you can increase the size of Lpri and design the rest
of the system with a lower Fo and a larger secondary and toroid.  This
would give you a system with lower current in the primary that should
benifit from what we are saying.

	Terry