[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier Report

Thanks John,

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> <<
> > Is driver secondary tune able to be obtained prior to connecting it
> > to the output resonator? Is correct secondary tune maintained after
> > hooking the resonator to the secondary?
>
> Malcolm, all,
>
> I spoke to Lou today.  He has not tried the above yet, but he plans
> to.  (he tends to think that connecting the extra coil would change
> things).
>
> > Is the sig gen coupled through a primary or hooked to the base of the
> > secondary?
>
> There is a primary, but no tank capacitor.
>
> > > Lou has also tried placing a variable tuning capacitor across
> > > approximately the bottom half of the secondary to assist in
> > correctly
> > > positioning the low voltage node at the base of the extra coil.  This
> > > tends to help the coil's performance also.
>
> > How would one do this in real life with several hundred kV across the
> > secondary? Finally, can he relate these results ot results obtained
> > in disruptive operation?
>
> Lou suggests using a huge primary, perhaps like Tesla's colorado
> springs unit.  He also mentioned a technique Tesla used, of placing
> large balls around the secondary near the ground, and connnected to
> the midpoint (or a little higher) of the secondary coil.  Lou has not
> yet tested his findings with disruptive coils, but has plans to do so.
>
> I should mention too that in his set-up, if the extra coil is quarter-wave
> resonant at let's say 100kHz, then the secondary should be half wave
> resonant at 100kHz, and the primary (or generator in his case) should
> also be tuned to 100kHz.  (not sure if I explained this clearly before).
>
> I wonder if it would be useful to place a corona ring around the middle
> of the secondary to prevent breakdown, and add capacitance to ground?

I'm most interested to hear the results of further expts. I like the
idea of the isolated topload to add C to the driver sec. I suppose
this is par for the course really.
    I would like some clarification on the 1/4 1/2 wave issue. If the
secondary is half wave resonant it would in fact have a natural
frequency of 200kHz? Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks again,
Malcolm