[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BL in TC arcs

Cabbot,
  I have seen this phenomenon before. What you are seeing is the effect
of heat (hot air) on conductivity. You can do the same thing with the
high voltage leads from a neon or a pig. Set the board on fire and
strike an arc to the flame. You get some interesting effects but no ball
lightening.

paul m

>Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 16:35:04 -0600
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: BL in TC arcs
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
>Original Poster: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>

>Tesla List wrote:
>
>> Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net>
>>  out high above the
>> burning piece of wood, the streamers seemed to be swirling and
>> squiggling into corkscrew-type fields.  Have you ever seen this
happen?
>> It was very amazing, and I caught it on video tape several times.
When
>> i came home and frame by framed the video, you can clearly see the
>> formation of a glowing ball usually when there is a "kink" or spiral
>> squiggle in the arc. This will last a few frames then dissappear.  I
>> will post a picture of it as soon as i get my capture card working.
Try
>> it!
>>
>> --
>> Cabbott Sanders
>> Salem Oregon
>> Website: http://members.aol-dot-com/cabbotttt
>> Phone 503-390-8992
>> Cel   503-930-9173
>
>  Be very careful here.  This is often seen in streamers captured on
video.
>We have studied these at length and find, like you, they are formed at
the
>kinks of streamers.  We beleive they are parts of streamers at a turn
where
>the streamer moves either towards or away from the observation point at
>very shallow angle off the line of sight.  This shows up a an
intensified
>knot in the streamer (which it is not), but instead just an optical
effect
>due to light piling up in a small area relative to the line of sight.
True