[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fired, but need help

Patti,
I agree with the others. Over-coupling is the most likely cause of secondary
arcs. I have observed this as arcs traveling down the secondary. When I was
having the same problem, the arcs would travel down the secondary and then arc
out to my strike rail. I did a series of adjustments to stop it. Raising the
secondary does help in this situation. However, I did add 3 coats of spar
varnish to the secondary windings and this too made a difference (occurrances
decreased substantially). I then went through a series of tuning adjustments
using an rf ground rod to tune by. Since that time, I didn't have an arc to
the
secondary until I started turning up the juice. During an outside "very cool"
run, I noticed I had arced to the secondary and burned a winding (about 1/4 up
from the bottom). I didn't see this happen, but the inspection following
the run
revealed it (always inspect after a run!). It was easily repaired. These
situations were all with a flat primary. It is possible to overcouple with a
flat primary, but as others have stated, it is more unlikely to happen
compared
to a helical or anything in between.

Bart