[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: UK Pole Xfmr Question

> Dear UK Subscribers,
>
> While preparing my 5KVA pole pig for shipment to the US, I realized I don't
> know enough about it.  It has six external ceramic insulators--four for
> 240V and two for 11KV.  Why does it have four 240V bushings?  should I use
> two on the same side, or one from each side, or all four somehow?  Anyone
> who understands how to properly connect this thing to 240V please respond
> on or off list.  Many thanks.
>
> Greg
>
> Beck Row, Suffolk

I have the same bushings on my pig.  They are secondary taps to give
slightly different voltages.  (I assume to compensate for voltage
variations on the supply).

One bushing will be neutral, the other 3 live.  There is a
voltage of 20 volts between the live bushings.

Bushing1	Neutral
Bushing2	220v
Bushing3	240v
Bushing4	260v

I feed 240v into the 220v bushing to get just a little extra output.

If things are still unclear have the lid off and look inside.  The
construction is large enough for you to clearly see the neutral and
the three live taps.

Julian Green.