[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Toroid = shorted turn ?

Most large top loads and especially toroids I have seen are conductive all
the way 'round, which forms a shorted turn above the top of the coil.  The
induced EMF would create a repulsive field cancelling the ringup field, in
effect "shading" the upper end of the secondary and wasting energy.

Some coilers believe this is not a significant effect, but I remain
skeptical.  Coil behavior is pretty sensitive to the spacing between the top
winding and the toroid, although I realize other effects are also at work
here.  I tried to insulate the joints of my stovepipe toroid and connect
each section together at the center.  The voltage at the joints would be no
more than a hundred volts, I think.  Since my joint insulation did not
survive the assembly process, and I have plenty of more important things to
optimize, my experiment may have to wait for the next toroid.  However, I
would like to hear from anyone else who has investigated this.

Will