[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Self-built power transformer (some design parameters)

 Reinhard:

I agree that don't want to heat the walls of my house with the wiring, but
why waste all those perfectly good electrons heating a pot of oil?-)
Obviously, if it works it works, but I'd still wind it with the biggest
wire I could (within reason). Bigger should do no harm, except possibly to
your wallet..and I'd rather not have to do it all over if the first try
went up in smoke.

still scrounging for parts (and time) in Chicagoland  to build a bigger
coil

- Mike

> RWB: This is true, but you donīt want your house wiring to get hotter
than say
> 35-40°C for fire safety reasons. I mean house AWG 10 is rated at 500V,
but you
> can put 15kV thru it w/o getting arc overs, even if two insulations touch
each
> other. Transformers are usually "use" rated to about 75°C. This is very
> uncomfortable to the touch. Nothing you would want concealed behind
walls.