[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Question

Hollmike wrote:
>   Thanks for the clarification.  I see we are on the same page :)  I
>also agree that this equation should be using the number of
>dielectric sections rather than the number of plates minus one.

I would agree with this.  It makes understanding the equation much
easier in my opinion.

Interestingly enough - if you do the math and try to optimize a
particular cap design, you will reach the conclusion that there is a
certain limit of energy per volume for any particular dielectric which
cannot be exceeded.  This yields some interesting shortcuts for gross
estimates of cap size, amt of poly required etc...

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160