[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Important questions... -Reply

          sam,
                 maybe i can help on the 2nd question:ridig pvc(like pipe)
has a
k around 3 to 3.8 and a breakdown  350/500v/mil. flexible pvc (tygon
tubing,shower curtain) has a k in the range of 4 to 8!! with a breakdown
from 300/400v/mil.... watch out for colorants and misc. additives......
plexiglas... there are severval grades,type g,mc,dr,and like. mostly
dealing with how they are produced. the most common and probably
best grade is type g,gm this is a cell cast version with a k of 3 or so and
breakdown voltage of 500v/mil...... clear is best avoid colors.
also,the chemical resistances of both pvc and plex are inferior to the
polyethylenes so be very careful on oil compatibilities and like or your
cap may end a pile of alum and goo.
hope this helps!
robert

>>> <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> 10/04/98 10:06am >>>
Original Poster: "Sam Barros" <sambarros-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 Ok, here are the questions again:

 First of all: Is Enamel Varnish as good as Polyurethane varnish for
insulating HV? How do the two compare?

 Second: Could I make a PVC pipe capacitor, or a Plexiglas sheet
capacitor that would compare in performance to those PE caps you guys

use? Polyethylene is non-existent in here* But I can get some nice
sheets of Plexiglas for 7 dollars each. They are squared, with some 30 X

30cm and about 0.5mm thick. I figured out that several of them
alternating with aluminium sheeting would make an easy capacitor. It
will cost a lot, but I was wondering if it would be any good* How about
PVC capacitors? Too lossy I suppose*

 I remembered what was the third question: I need a very good
High-Voltage RF ground for some dangerous HV experiments (and than
later
for my Tesla Coil).
 I am thinking of burring a 30 X 30 sheet of brass some 30cm deed into
the ground, putting salt on top of it and covering it with earth. Than I
was going to hammer 3 1m long, 1cm diameter brass pipes into some
damp
ground, 30cm away from each other. And, finally, I wanted to put this
metal sheet into this little water channel that runs behind my house and
connect it all together with thick cables. The water channel is quite
long and about 2 metres wide. Would it electrocute the ducks and fry my
neighbours water-pumps if I did this?

 Thanks a lot!