[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My Pig

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Here is all I know about my pig:
> 300 lbs, 13 gals of oil. 10KVA.
> Marked 33200 GRDY/19200.  Single HV output, with return to case.
> 120-0-120 lv input lugs.  The "0" lug is tied to the case externally.
> Applying 240v produces 19200 from the HV lead to the can.
> Diameter is 19 inches
> The can's height is 27 inches, but the huge HV insulator puts the total
> height at ~39 inches.
> 1.79% imp.
> Mfg in 1983, non pcb.
> 150KV BIL.
>
> What is the %imp figure used for??

    The %imp figure is what fraction of the designed impedance is the total
wire resistance when referred to one side of the transformer. For example,
if you had a 10Kv 10A pig, then the design impedance is 1K on the HV side,
so if the %imp figure was 5%, then that means that the actual resistanceof
the windings is only 50 ohms, so if the HV terminals are presented with a
short circuit the LV terminals will draw 20 times the rated full load
current ( if your supply doesn't die first).    The %imp figures are used by
the power companies to choose fuse ratings so that they will not blow under
full load, but will if a transformer is shorted.

> That's all!  I still haven't pushed any substantial amt of power throug
> the thing, perhaps <1000 watts for a Jacob's, etc.

    10Kva will make a very impressive jaccobs ladder, you should be able to
get easily 2ft arcs, with occasional ones out to over 4ft. , I would suggest
you use 1/2" copper piping for the rods, as anything smaller will melt after
a few seconds at that power level. If you are interested in high power J.
ladders, there is an AVI at
http://www.legion-elec.demon.co.uk/highb/elec/11000v.htm it's near the
bottom of the page.

--
*Stephen Rodway             Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com *  Support your local *
*Tel. 01761 300615                             *     coroner....     *