[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Question

Doug,
The Java calculator is on my page. It was written by Jerry Gore. I put in
the note
regarding manually multiplying the result by 2 for rolled caps thanks to a
coiler
who identified the problem. Why? Because the original calculator did not
take into
account that a 2 plate rolled cap when rolled has 4 conducting plates (each
side
of the 2 plates serves as a conductor in a rolled configuration) as my note
on the
page identifies.

I went out to the Java calculator page just now and put in Reinhard's
values. The
Java calculator calculated a capacitance of 5.47nF. Now, you see why I put the
note on the page. Multiply this by 2 gives the value of 10.94nF, pretty
darn close
to what Reinhard is measuring.

BTW - if anyone finds any problem with the Java calculator, please let me
know. I
personally don't use it, but I keep it out there for others who might. If
there is
a problem I would like to correct it in the java code if possible.

Bart