[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Self-built power transformer

 Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>

 First off, I'd like to thank everybody for helping me with this transformer.

 Questions: what do you mean by end-to-end airgaps? What should the core be
 laminated with--will poly work? I just covered it with that today, to prevent
 arcovers.

Hi Doug,

I donīt have a lot of time today so a real quick and dirty answer:

A laminated core means the core is not a single iron or steel chunk. Rather it
is made up of lots of thin single iron sheets cut into the E and I form. This
reduces the total amount of Eddy currents being created (which are useless in
terms of power transfer in a transformer). The silicon steel used in
lamination forms also prevents the core from becoming permenantly magnetized
(like a horseshoe magnet), which would further hurt the performance, because
the law says electricity is only generated in a moving magnetic field.

The laminations are usually just painted to prevent the core from rusting. The
cores are further welded or epoxied up for noise reasons. This makes em run
quieter.

Hope the info helps,
Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard