[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dyna-motor generator

----------
From:  Bill Noble [SMTP:william_b_noble-at-email.msn-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, May 26, 1998 1:54 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Dyna-motor generator

why bother with a motor generator when you can make a perfectly adequate
inverter with an old filament transformer and a couple of transistors??
Seriously, all you need are the transformer, two transistors and four
resistors. How much power do you really need?  a 2n3055 will cary about 5
amps at 60 volts, and it's really cheap.  The old motor/generator is
probably worth more as something to put on the shelf than as a power source.

There are such things as self excited generators, back in the dark days when
I worked on airplanes, the L-1011 had such a thing, wherein a permanent
magnet got the thing started, and then one winding acted as a generator to
provide current to the other.  This eliminated the need for brushes, which
is good in an aircraft application.