[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Continued Problems (fwd)

----------
From:  Esondrmn [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, May 26, 1998 12:26 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Continued Problems (fwd)

<<
 Bert,

 Thanks for taking the time. I think this is what Malcom was
 indicating on his previous post. I have read many other posts indicating
 the on/off situations regarding the gap, but for some reason, your post
 hit home unlike the others. You presented each gap situation out very
 well.  This puts a whole new perspective (for myself) on the operation of
 my own coil. The breakover at the gap is most definately the difference
 between a conventional xfmr and the resonanat xfmrs we build.

 Had a great time tonight. I added another 50 ft of 3/8 tubing to the
 primary today and performed some point to ground test. I started at full
 primary inductance (13 turns) and I got nothing but a sparkgap firing (
 similar to Ed's delema which started this post). I came in a couple turns
 and the coil started operating. I eventually ended up about 1.5 turns
 beyond my previous primary extreme of 7.6 turns. The system appears in
 tune at ~ 9 turns. At this point, I started getting arcs to the garage
 ceiling. The coil is almost on the ground, and I couldnt' decrease it's
 distance to the ceiling any further, so I decided it was a good night in
 MN to set up outside the garage.

 As soon as the sun went down, I fired it up. I tried to push it to it's
 full voltage extreme and was getting some impressive and continuous 5t
 foot arcs and once in a while, arcs beyond this range. One thing I did
 notice was that when the arcs would find the strike ring, it remained for
 an extended amount of time. I didn't expect the arc to remain as long as
 it did, but as I kept attempting to pull full voltage, it hit the strike
 ring and remained there for a significant amount of time (the arc was
 extremely white and heavy). At one point, I tripped my 30A circuit breaker
 (I'm surprised this is the first time a popped it, as I've been running 25
 to 30A variation for some time). Looks like I may need to upgrade to 40's
 to run full voltage. One nice change is that my primary rebuild and
 secondary recoat has elliminated my first firing delema of the arc
 traveling down the seconary winding. When it hits the strike ring, it is
 now flaring out from the toroid and then back into the strike ring,
 completely leaving the secondary unharmed.

 One FUN night in MN, (the applause from neighbors was cool too),
 thanks for the clarification,
 Bart

Bart,

Congratulations, sounds like the coil is running well.  In the old days, when
I had my coil running well (before the caps started blowing) I also had thick,
white hot bolts that would go out from the 40" toroid and down to the strike
rail.  And they do just seem to sit there for a while.  It always made me
nervous when they did that, I just waited for the lights to go out.  I finally
added a piece of 3/8 clear vinyl tubing to the top outside edge of the toroid
(all the way around) and covered it in foil tape.  This does seem to help the
arcs get started in an upward direction.

I still want to get my two toroid system working (with the 33" sitting up
aways above the 44" toroid) - maybe when I get these other problems resolved
and the new cap in the system.

I did get the primary rebuilt into a flat pancake configuration and am waiting
for it to quit raining so I can test it.  I have the three new 1.6 ohm 1000
watt resistors built into a metal stand and they are ready to go.  I haven't
wired them in yet as I still want to run the coil as is to compare the
performance of the old vs new primary configuration.

Ed Sonderman