[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: chokes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 19:42:56 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: chokes (fwd)

        I use two (one in each neon leg) 10K 25W wirewound resistors from
DigiKey to isolate the secondary from the neon and such.  I have tested
these and they work find at ~300KHz range.  They will also definitly damp
any LC oscillations from the chokes which is very important.  Otherwise, the
noen my be harmed or the gap won't quench well.
        Finding the power dissipation is straight forward.  For a 60 mA neon
and a 10K resistor:  P=I^2 R  --->  0.06^2*10000 = 36 watts.  I run them a
little hot :-)

        Terry