[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SCR/Triac pig controller? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 02:56:38 -0600
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: SCR/Triac pig controller? (fwd)

to: Bill

We worked on this problem for a while back in the mid-70's.  The simple
triac system just doesn't work properly because of transients (very rich in
TC work as opposed to HV DC x-ray applications).  We did finally come up
with a good working circuit using separate antiparallel SCR's which were
triggered a completely independent pulse generator source with a lot of
line and isolation filtering with xmfrs, etc.  This worked quite well, but
in some of our commercial science museum applications people actually stand
atop some of the smaller coils and when this xsistor type controller fails
everything goes to full conduction which could present huge legal problems,
so hence, we still use the tried and true variac system.  When the wire
burns up or brush dies it just quits and does not go into full conduction.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net