[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Continued Problems (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:40:50 EDT
From: Esondrmn <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Continued Problems (fwd)

<< to: Ed

 First, try replacing the entire primary with some scrap wire like #10 AWG
 -- keep it in a flat spiral -- no inverted V's.  I think you are
 overcoupling and this can really produce some very destructive standing
 waves the reflect back into your primary system.  Second, for a test,
 disconnect your entire primary oscillator from your HV transformer and hook
 up a simple climbing arc with some scrap #12 AWG in the form of a 24 inch
 high V.  Now test your power supply with the climbing arc to be sure you
 are getting the correct current control -- note and record carefully your
 primary current readings.  Reconnect your oscillator and run the system and
 also record your primary current readings.  Any major differences here
 would indicate a destructive resonance pattern.   The destructive popping
 sound you are hearing might be a failure of your current limiting system to
 properly limit the peak recharge current -- it could be as high as 300 peak
 amps for short time periods and your spark gap begins to look like a short
 circuit that will not quench properly.  It is important to verify you
 actually have proper current control (1) and (2) you are not overcoupled.

 Never, ever use coax as a hot to ground normal transmission line for 60 Hz
 HV currents from a pole xmfr.  Eliminate the coax for a short time and just
 use some 12 or 14 AWG suspended on a few glass soda bottles for these
 tests.  This will eliminate the possibly of blum line resonance as the
 contributing culprit.  Last, and I'm sure you know this by now but it bears
 repeating -- be sure you have a very good ground on the bottom of your
 secondary coil -- with these values you should have no less and 2 ought
 welding cable from the base of your sec coil to your dedicated ground.  Any
 HV resonant rise here will produce hundreds of kilovolts and blow the caps
 in your primary very easily.

 Hope this information is of assistance.

 DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Dr.,

Thanks for the advice.  I was wondering about overcoupling.  I may some day
rewind the primary in a flat spiral.  I do have a nice ground set up.  Three 8
foot copper clad rods buried in a triangular shape with 8 foot sides, all
soldered together with 4" wide copper flashing and connected to the secondary
with the same copper flashing.  The connection from the bottom of the seconday
to the ground system is maybe only 5 feet.

Ed Sonderman