[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Superconducting tesla coil (fwd) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:11:24 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Superconducting tesla coil (fwd) (fwd)

Dear Superconducting Coilers,
                                You are wasting your time and money
with a sparkgap in the circuit. Unless the components you are already
using are poor quality (e.g. high ESR caps, thin wire, braid etc.)
the best things you can do to up your primary Q are: increase the L/C
ratio out of sight (determines the linear slope decrement) AND run at
the highest possible primary voltage (determines percentage energy
loss per cycle in the primary). The bottom line is: minimize your gap
current.

Malcolm