[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

small coil ground question

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, March 20, 1998 6:40 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: small coil ground question

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Tristan,

While the 3rd-wire ground could be used, you risk creating some
interference and possible damage to nearby sensitive equipment. A small
coil can be run with a piece of sheetmetal or conductive screening
that's at least 1-2' below the primary (to reduce eddy curren losses),
and at least 3-4' in diameter or on a side/square to form a
counterpoise. The actual shape isn't really very important. Connect the
metal plate to the base of your secondary so that it forms the other
"plate" of the capacitor with your toroid and yo'll be in business.

Another option is to make a small "twin" coil, using a pair of small
identical coils with the smaller primaries connected in series and in
phase opposition. By connecting the bases together, you may be able to
get by with NO ground needed for your secondaries.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --