[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

which disease?

----------
From:  Zuma /or CJ [SMTP:mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 12:40 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: which disease?

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

This is a over excessive amount of wire and h/d ratio.

> Everybody talks about 3:1 ratio but that means with 10" diam
> ->30"height, doesn't it. How do I get 1000 turns in so little height.
> Can I take a form with more height??
Easy. Get you a wire chart from some where and compare the turns per
inch and multiply it by the height of the coil. By doing this you can
determine the exact wire gauge that will get you closest to a 1000
turns.

> I now get breakouts (>20") at half of the form, distroying my turns.
Your coil is way to long to work correctly!
> am using a cap wound from 2.5mm thick red plastic (don't know the
> material) 2 plates from about 20 cm widht and 7 meters long.
The value of this cap is probably to small.
 Primary is
> 7.5 turns of .5" copper tube, gap=single .5", toroids vary. Best
> sparklength I get (don't understand!!!) with a very small toroid! Supply
> is a 10 kv 10kva plate transformer and a variac.
Your primary needs more turns in it, you need a series static gap with a
max of .25 total gap space. You have an excellant supply transformer,
but your coil needs some serious improvments done to it!

> is it wise to build a new coil with 8"diam and what height and number of
> turns should it have??? What wirediam??? I am thinking of using wire
> used in mainssupply (2.5 mm2). at least is low resistance. What am I
* doing wrong?

If your going to wind a 8" coil give it a max height of 24"-32". The
wire diameter is up to you. The smallest you will probably get to work
well will be 20 awg magnet wire, I wouln't use any smaller than 16 awg.