[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

130kW Coil Stuff

----------
From:  Greg Leyh [SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 18, 1998 3:37 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  130kW Coil Stuff

Hi All,

A few interesting observations so far:

The coil is now consuming about 120kW (+/-5%) at the
full power setting, with several unexpected results.
At this power level, the arcs occasionally follow a
curved trajectory from the very top of the sphere, and
hit the base of the the secondary tower. I was hoping
that the spherical electrode geometry would keep the
arcs sky-bound, but around 80kW or so they start heading
downward.  The coil may have to be turned down slightly,
in order to avoid extended cosmetic damage.  The _lineal_
distance of these semi-circular arcs is about 35-40 feet.

Also, as the power level is increased the arc length
appears to reach a maximum limit (around 70kW), and
beyond that the outer 40% or so of the arc length starts
to develop a greater number of branches instead, filling
a larger _volume_ with streamers, rather than increasing
the actual arc length as predicted.

The ion lifetimes in the streamer channels also appear to
be _much_ longer for this coil than on the old 40kW unit,
as the arc length stays at nearly full length down as far
as 110BPS, but with much less branching.

The coil appears to be in good shape for the Wednesday
evening tests, when I will be measuring current waveforms
from coil-to-electrode and electrode-to-arc.  I will post
JPEG's of the results as time permits.

-GL