[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ok design?

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 04, 1998 6:49 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: ok design?

On Friday, February 27, 1998 4:28 PM Atle Jorstad
[SMTP:anjorsta-at-online.no] wrote;

> I'm trying to build my first coil...this is the design I plan to use;
> powersupply: auto ignition coil powered by a motorcycle battery, I estimate
> the auto coil to be about 45 watts, 30kv 1.5 ma. frequency: adjustable from
> 1 Hz- 2khz

I'll believe the 45 watts when I see (measure) it! I've never seen an
automabile ignition coil yield over 25 watts!

> primary cap: 45kv, 640 pf, consists of 30 3kv 4,7nf caps, 15 in series, in
> paralell with another series of 15.

sounds OK.

> spark gap: 2 pieces of metal bent in L-shape, adjustable with two screws.

Try a small Richard Quick gap an minimise your losses.

> secondary coil: 700 windings with 29 awg on a 10 inches long form that is 2
> inches in diametre. (25 cm long, 5cm im diam.) on the top of the secondary,
> im going to put a nail or some kind of sharp point, since this is just a
> small coli.

Very bad design! First a two coil Tesla coil secondary should have a
height/width ration of 3/1 to 4/1, yours is way to long and will invit way
too much resistive losses! Again your "nail" or sharp point will invite way
too much coronal losses and subtract from the coils performance! Much
better to use a small sphere (apx. 3 inches in diameter) or a toroid.

> primary coil: Standing coil, i dunno how many windings it should be to match
> the cap. i plan to use some kind of normal thick wire.

Use no more than 15 turns of coper tubing like 1/8 inch O.D.

> chokes & safety devices: none, this is just a small coil thats not on the
> power line. maybe a safety gap on the cap.

acceptable.

> I'll place all the components on some plexiglass.

That I'll work as long as the plexiglas is atleast 1/4 inch thick.

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/