[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ballast?

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 04, 1998 6:49 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Ballast?

On Friday, February 27, 1998 8:37 PM Moleking
[SMTP:moleking-at-concentric-dot-net] wrote;

> While asking the local sign maker for a neon, he found me a nice 15kV neon
> which he said was no good, but which works flawlessly.  He also, however,
> had several ballasts lying around, one of which he gave me.  I brought the
> box home, having no idea of it's purpose.  One end had two red leads, and
> the other had two pairs of wires coming out.  I plugged in the two single
> ones.  The unit sparked, tripped a breaker, and smoked slightly.  WHAT IS
> THIS THING????  Is it at all useful?  Thanks.

Hi Josh, what you found are fluorescent tube ballasts and frankly they are
the old heavy designs! Even if you wanted fluorescent tube ballasts, now a
days they are extremely small (size of a 5 watt filament transformer for
40 watt lamps) and partially sold state and much more efficient in
operation. Unless you collect scrap iron I'd just throw them out.

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/