[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

HV hookup wire

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 03, 1998 3:32 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: HV hookup wire

Hi Eleanor,

Braid is not a good thing to include in high frequency resonant
circuits, silver plated or not. Skin effect adds enormously to the
resistance of braid. In trying to stay near the overall conductor
surface, the current has to hop from strand to strand so in using
braid, you are including hundreds of connections of dubious quality
in the wire. It would be OK to use between the transformer and the
spark gap, but nowhere else. The high I^2.R losses in it make
themselves known as heating in the wire.

Malcolm