[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High Voltage Diodes

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, March 01, 1998 9:56 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: High Voltage Diodes

> ----------

Internally, those diodes have a number of lower voltage diodes in series
(it varies a lot how many, depending on mfr). Say there are 15 diodes, each
at 1 kV each (for example only, typically they would have a bit of margin).
The forward drop of each diode is around 0.6 Volts, so 15 would have a
total forward drop of 9 Volts. Your DVM probably uses a lot less to measure
the resistance (200 mV or so, unless you are on the diode checking
setting).

Try hooking them up with a 24 V dc power supply and a 2.2 K resistor in
series (to limit the current to around 5-10 mA). Then measure the forward
voltage drop when forward biased. My microwave oven diodes measure a Vf of
around 14 volts. Reverse biased, they should read the full supply
voltage...

BTW, they give the Vf spec in the catalog for the diodes.