[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rectify ac input?

----------
From:  Homer Lea [SMTP:HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, March 01, 1998 8:32 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Rectify ac input?

> > I have often wondered, and want to try, rectifying the ac
>  > input to the transformer primary with a full wave bridge. You'ld still
>  > get 120 pps, (60 hz x 2), but they would be all positive, (or negative).
>
>  > I'm not sure the transformer characteristics would be to happy about it
>  > as you'ld basically be feeding the primary unfiltered dc. Current might
>  > go through the roof.

If I remember right from school(30+ years ago): If you put the 120 volt line
current through a full wave bridge what you get out is essentially a 60 volt
120 Hz signal on top of 60 volts DC. The current from the DC component should
be large enough to saturate the core and give just a tiny 120 Hz AC current
out the secondary. On the other hand if you put the xfmr OUTPUT through a
rectifier bridge you get a nice 120pps to your spark gap and coil primary.

jim heagy