[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measurements using field probe

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, June 29, 1998 8:08 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Measurements using field probe

to: Bert

It would not be reasonable to assume the 144 Ohm resistance for the 420 BPS
of operation.  This value would only be true for the first few firings of
the cap as the "hot" resistance of the bulb is considerably less than its
initial "cold" measured DC resistance.  After a few seconds this value
would be lower.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Measurements using field probe

There is a lot
> [...]
> > dissipate I^2Rt joules.  That works out to 0.216 joules per arc.  At
420 BPS
> > we would dissipate 90.72 watts in the bulb - Much more believable!
>
> With Rfil of 70 ohms, an measured average power of 11.2 watts in lamp,
> and a breakrate of 420 BPS, this is about 0.0266 Joules/bang being
> dissipated in the lamp. Solving for I if this is done in 1.5 uSec, we
> get a current of about 16 Amps. However, it's more likely that most of
> this current flows for only 1-2 time constants, or about 600 nSec.
> Solving for the current, we get an average current of about 28 Amps.
> Much more reasonable that 1000 Amps (in hindsight)...
>

> > Also, the top toroid is a capacitor.  The charge on a capacitor is
equal to
> > the capacitance multiplied by the voltage (Q = C x V).  The charge is
also
> > equal to the current multiplied by the time. (Q = I x t).  For 31.62
amp and
> > 1.5 uS the charge would be 47.43 uCoul.  For a toroid of say 50pF the
> > voltage works out to 950 kilovolts - A much better number.
>
> This is probably too high an output voltage for my 10" coil. I estimate
> that my tank circuit provides about 3.7 joules/bang (0.0205 uF at 19 KV
> Vgap). At 420 BPS, the system is delivering about 1550 total watts of
> average primary power. Most of this energy, about 80%, or about 3
> Joules/bang, appears to be making it to the secondary:toroid based upon
> independent measurements of the amplitudes of successive pri-sec energy
> interchanges. The combined topload and secondary self-C of this system
> is about 43 pF. This implies a peak voltage of about 370 kV at the
> toroid - which seems to be in the ballpark for the 60-65" streamers that
> this system produces.
>
> Now all of the secondary energy is observed to be dissipated within 1.5
> uSec (about 5 time constants) during a power arc. In fact, if the
> discharge has a decaying exponential envelope [or mostly linear?], more
> than 98% of this energy will have been dissipated in about 2 time
> constants, or around 600 nSec. At 420 BPS, this implies that the RF
> power that is used to "incinerate the air" amounts to about 1260 watts.
> During power arcs we know that the lamp will be dissipating an average
> of about 11.2 watts across 70 ohms, or slightly less than 1% of the
> total power. The remaining 99% of the power must be dissipated in the
> arc. Assuming that the current is the same for both (whatever it is...),
> the implied average Rarc must be about 100X that of the filament, or
> about 7000 Ohms. Also, doing a "ballpark" sanity check, 370 kV/7000 = 52
> Amps - not unreasonable.
>

> > Also the top terminal capacitance and the arc form a RC network that
should
> > discharge in 5 RC time constants.  This would imply a resistance of:
> >
> > 1.5 uS = 5 x R x C
> >
> > With say a 50 pF top terminal the resistance implied is 6000 ohms!
This is